The first recorded reference of a Church in Dorking was in 1086 where it was recorded in the Domesday Survey. The Saxon Church was rebuilt in the middle of the 12th century in a cruciform shape with a central tower. Side aisles were added in the 14th century and several windows, particularly the window over the high altar, were increased in size.
In 1637, a massive wooden pulpit was installed in a central position to emphasise the importance of preaching. Later in the same century the chancel was partitioned off, with the transepts being used as schoolrooms. The inside of the medieval Church had changed almost beyond recognition.
The building became very dilapidated, and by the beginning of the 19th century it was also too small for the expanding township of Dorking. By 1837, the nave had been replaced by a large rectangular building with extensive galleries supported by cast iron columns. This ‘Intermediate Church’ was not attractive and soon fell out of favour.
The first part to be altered was the medieval chancel, which was rebuilt as you see it today between 1866 and 1868, to the glorious designs of Henry Woodyer. The rest of the present church, also the work of Woodyer, followed between 1872 and 1874, with the spire finally completed in 1877.
Little has changed since, except for the addition of the Lady Chapel which was created between 1905 and 1913 and the removal of the screen which used to separate the nave and chancel in 1965 .